"My views of Choreography": Pavitra Bhat






What according to you, the word choreography is?

That’s a very simple but still very complicated word too….i feel it’s a person’s thought process put into a structural form. So according to me; you cannot define choreography as it changes from each and every mental state and mental conditions at that point of time.

What points or context do you keep in mind while doing choreography?

First of all I always think about the concept content accordingly I move ahead with the thought process. Staring from point zero to the finish it should be audience educative still audience friendly. As my attempt always has been to educate audience and create awareness and liking towards our art form . 

 What are your thoughts about Traditional Choreography?

Traditional dance has always laid foundation for any art form. I am a strong traditional art lover. It always attracts me but with time I have started adapting some music which is close to traditional.You may say a collaborative work with some contemporary musicians....its good to move with the modern world but knowing your limits and find your roots too.

How do you concentrate on while choreographing a solo or a group performance?

I always think on the subject before starting any work. And for me good music is utmost important to give my thoughts a start or also good content. For solo choreography, depends how heavy is my content or how is my audience too?. Depends accordingly, how much I can uplift my Rasikaas…….For group choreography, I have always keep in mind creating of visual beauty....so with song it can be played with a different angle and different method. For group choreography, quality of dancers, costumes, height and body of dancers, seniority in performing; all these things come into my mind..have to smartly place my dancers according to their capacity.

A few words about your own choreographed and performed dance pieces?

In my process as a young teacher and an upcoming choreographer I tried to choreograph some of my dance works with great support always from my Guruji initially for music.

"Abhangawani"- a journey of a devotee from 'Vaarkari Sampradaya'  to reach to the lotus feet of lord Vithala in the process his bhakti, his difficulties, his happiness,mix of various emotions….

"Radhe radhe govinda"- a ballet adapted from a short story conceptualized by Deepak sir.

"Kalinga mardam" & "Murugan" even  "Hanuman" are my own concept and choreographies…….its my fortune that people have repeatedly loved this work and have go appreciation…all gods grace…..
I just bring out in body physically what I see inside my mind…

My newest work is Swami Sharanam- life history of Harihara Putra- Lord Ayappa. This production involves 86 students of mine.

What role does Saahitya or piece of literature play in the choreography process?

Yes. Saahitya plays a very important role in an composition. Understanding Saahitya, Study of the whole concept, its history and things associated to it helps a lot while choreographing and including the same in Sancharis and bring in complete essence of the concept.

Some another work or experiment with choreography you have done?

Personally, I am a person who believes more in traditional concept or taking scriptures from ancient texts or composers …. In my recent works I worked on subjects relating to temple sculptures and dance an understanding through physically showing to school kids how do u relate them and similarly how is it seen on stage while dancing.


- Shri. Pavitra Bhat









One of the most distinguished disciples of the renowned Bharatanatyam exponent Guru Shri Deepak Mazumdar took his initial training from Kalanjali under Kumari Vasantha..Having toured extensively India and abroad as a young performer Pavitra Bhat is also a recipient of innumerable awards and recognition some of them are worth mentioning-



• A.T.GovindarajanPillai Award


• AcharyaVishwanathdev Sharma Talent search Award by Vedic Heritage, Newyork.

• Titles Singar Mani, nalandanrityanipoona , Yuva Kala Bharathi

• A GRADE from Mumbai Doordarshan

• Aarsha Kala Choodamani Title conferred by ShriDayaanandaSaraswatiji in Pensylvania (USA)

• YUVA NRUTYA PRATHIBHA AWARD from Kalabharathi India , Trivandrum - 2014

• PANDIT BHIMSEN JOSHI AWARD – GADAG (KARNATAKA)- 2014 

Pavitra has toured Dubai, Canada, Malaysia , Indonesia and USA for performances also toured all over India for showing his talent as a performer, choreographer and a teacher . Pavitra has been also trained in Nattuvangam. Pavitra at present also trains 350 young talents in Mumbai under his dance institute P.A.V.I. (Pavitra Art Visual Institute).

To get to know more about Pavitra bhat, log on to:
http://www.pavitrabhat.com/















Comments

Popular Posts